[Magdalen] A reflection on "certification"; was Just got accepted for the exam.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 24 15:48:54 UTC 2016

I totally understand the world in which such certifications are required, and how they come about.  But I'm honestly a bit amazed that in order to become "certified" to assist a municipality in enforcing actual laws on the books, the exam is "pass/fail", with the minimum requirement being a "C" (70%, to mix exam types just for emphasis).  Pass/fail makes sense (who wants "levels" of certification in a scenario where only two at a particular agency are so certified?), but you'd almost think the bar should be higher, at least to Keillor's "children are above average".

(A little secret, that maybe she shouldn't have told me.  My boss, years ago when she passed it, failed the first time, and the second time failed again by only one percentage point.  The proctor just said "Pass! Go home!")