[Magdalen] The college students are back!

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Wed Aug 31 17:43:29 UTC 2016

On 8/30/16 6:01 PM, Scott Knitter wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:15 PM, ME Michaud <michaudme at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This weekend one should not go to the Container Store.
>> Or Staples.
>
> I braved the Aldi near Loyola University Chicago just now and lived to
> tell about it. But I did get a dirty look for going against the flow
> in the frozen-food aisle. Apparently once you've passed something you
> were looking for, there's no second chance unless you want to go all
> the way up the next aisle to try the frozen-food aisle again, in the
> proper direction.
>
> At least they accept credit cards now. Too many times I filled a
> basket and stepped up to the conveyor belt only to realize I'd given
> my debit card (the only card they used to accept, other than
> government-assistance cards) to my dear partner. No longer a problem.
>
> And of course always a pleasantly low grocery bill.

I like it when Discover Card has (a month or three at a time) their
variable Cashback 5% at grocery stores.  (Right now it's Home
Improvement Stores (hardware) and Amazon.com, also good for me).  It
doesn't make the bill immediately low, but I do get 5% of the bill back.
  I tend to go to the IGA store in Columbus on Wednesdays, when that IGA
store has a 5% Senior Citizens discount (besides their Double Coupons up
to and including 50¢ coupons) and normal advertised specials.  In the
summer they buy whatever produce they can get from local
farmers/gardeners.  All those little odd percentages do add up, when you
can use them on the same bills.  I never have "high credit card
interest" on my Discover, because I pay every statement in full once a
month.  I guess they must make their profit and paychecks for their
humans, all from people who carry a balance over, and I'm freeloading on
them and more with the odd discounts/cashbacks, because I never pay them
more than the totals I'd pay for what I buy anyway.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net