[Magdalen] A question (musical)

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Dec 3 17:41:53 UTC 2016

In a message dated 12/3/2016 11:44:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

I think  my favorite is Quem vidisTIS pastorES  diciTE...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The local Procathedral does the final "Hodie Christus Natus  est." on
Christmas at various locations in the service.

The recording I have of these antiphons is by the late Robert Shaw  and
includes the Poulenc Mass are the best IMHO.  Shaw not only got  laser-beam
tonality, but the internal rhythms (heavily influenced by  French-Latin
stress) best.

It's deadly when the first three antiphons (liturgically for the  Magnificat
on a Christmas Office) are sung too softly with little rhythm, and  then
the Hodie comes on suddenly so fast the choirs can hardly keep up.

David S.