[Magdalen] Tokoloshe - was Explosion in Zimbabwe

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 15:34:58 UTC 2016

It's a creature out of place, comparable to the European imp or brownie,
which interestingly seems to cover a great deal of mythological territory
in one economical package.

Belief is widespread in Southern African and not confined to the indigenous
black population either, as this link explains.

I found this article, although it far exceeded my tolerance for
Tokoloshe-bosh and is definitely not based on sound research.

http://www.vanhunks.com/tokoloshe1.html

A comment made therein rings true though- as long as there is money to be
made, people are going to keep promoting this superstition in all its forms
from mildly amusing to deadly dangerous.

Otherwise, I am afraid that one is left with the inescapable impression
that my native and adopted lands are both liberally populated with the
weird, the wacky, the credulous, the avaricious, the deeply disturbed and
the barking mad.

But there again, SA makes plenty of tourist money out of people who seem to
accept as fact that the Earth Goddess once turned a giant into stone as
Table Mountain, "the watcher of the South", to keep the sea dragon from
coming ashore. Therefore Table Mountain is not just another worn away
ancient rock among many marching Eastwards inland, but a "thin place" of
note.

The ancient world was big on keeping the sea in its place, and with global
warming a reality, we can learn a thing or two from them maybe!!

BTW, the nom de plume of the author "van Hunks" is taken from an old Cape
Town story to explain the "tablecloth" of cloud that hangs over Table
Mountain - Old van Hunks, a notorious pirate who retired to Cape Town to
laugh at the world, goes up the mountain each day to smoke his pipe. One
day the Devil comes  and challenges him to a duel, van Hunks loses (or
maybe it doesn't matter) and he vanishes in a puff of smoke, but every year
they come back to smoke again.

It seems one can draw some parallels with European figures such as goblins,
brownies, leprechauns and so forth. Jung would have a field day

Sally D