[Magdalen] Christmas Eve..

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:00:36 UTC 2016

In another parish, we had candidates lead a rehearsal, and one of them
kept eliciting gasps by his direct manner: "Sing the descant only if
you're a soprano and you can sing it lightly and beautifully. If not,
please don't." Gasp! Isn't every descant every soprano's God-given
right? "There are some prominent r's in that phrase, and it's sounding
a bit midwestern: let's hear that again, and make it sound like you're
not from here." Gasp! What's wrong with being from here? The nerve!

I'm so glad we hired him. He did great things with our music program
and was a friend and pastor to us. He's now a fine priest. I trust
he's kept his direct manner.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA