[Magdalen] Quiet Pub

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:39:56 UTC 2016

It is good to hear from pubmates.  Prayers for all who, for varied reasons,
are grieving this season.  Jim, Esther, Marilyn and all others are in my
heart and prayers.

Seasonal affective disorder tends to be my companion from mid-November to
mid-February.  Santa Claus of our culture is not my friend; I avoid
shopping with the masses at all costs.  The very idea of big box music,
proclaiming that Santa is watching and keeping a list, so better be nice,
sincerely upsets me.  Our former neighbor actually got coal and switches in
his stocking when he was a child.....as an adult, he was a psychological
mess.  (John grew up with this fellow and remembers.)  So, give me Jesus.
Please.

While I have bought simple Christmas gifts for our friends and family, I am
busy observing Advent in a Ginga fashion.  Better not to focus on being
blue.  As I write this, my Advent wreath is lit - 3 candles this week, one
pink.  Years ago, I made a CD of my favorite Advent hymns and burned that
to my computer.  I love that music -- just heard Miserable Offenders
beautiful rendition of Come Thou Long Expected Jesus.  We will purchase our
tree this weekend and put it up Sunday afternoon.  All is well and quiet.

John and I are in the midst of fixing our house to sell.  We have been in
this wonderful home for 40 years now...it is two doors from John's
childhood home.  (No, we don't know where we are going, but we may move
nearer our boys in NC.)  This house is way too big for us...I cannot and do
not do much housekeeping now.  I have never been much of a housekeeper, so
it i good to have the excuse of some health issues, including balance
issues and syncope (diabetic neuropathy), in addition to a frozen shoulder.

I fare forward with lots of work in our church...serve as facilitator of
our discernment team - we meet twice a month to pray the question of 'where
is God calling Good Shepherd next".  I also continue to attend staff
meetings at request of the priest in charge and senior warden.  "We do what
we love' is so true with me.  Being part of the creative aftermath of
schism in The Episcopal Church in South Carolina has beel like having a
baby in old age - totally and joyfully life changing.  Our mission
congregation, Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Summerville, SC, is
thriving.  We are small still but growing slowly and strongly.  Lots of
outreach ministries and opportunities for fellowship at least monthly.  All
is well.  Alleluia!!

Wishing each and all hope, love, joy, and peace of this holy season.

Ginga

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 5:20 AM, Roger Stokes <roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com