[Magdalen] Christmas Treats.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 16:55:58 UTC 2016

Oh my, David, you bring back such memories! Growing up in Wisconsin made
Christmas a treat all its own (and I'm sure those who grew up in Minnesota
have similar culinary memories). For many years my parents lived next door
to a Norwegian couple--he was retired from TVA)--and we and our children
always called them Tante Møsse and Onkel Torald. At Christmastime Tante
Møsse would send over a HUGE tray of Norwegian cookies....oh my! My
daughter still talks about those cookies.

On another note (ha!), a few nights ago I watched the PBS program of the
St. Olaf Choir "Christmas in Norway" which I think was taped last year.
Along with the St. Olaf Chorale, it featured a Norwegian choir of girls
ranging in age from probably 8 or 9 to around 14. It was quite amazing as
the two choirs were standing at opposite ends of the chancel and their
directors had their backs to one another and so had to look over their
shoulders from time to time. The Norwegian girls sang in flawless English
and the American kids in what sounded like perfect Norwegian,
interchangeably. What I couldn't get over was how much those little
Norwegian girls looked just like the girls I grew up with. If you didn't
see this program, check the PBS website and see if it's available for
viewing online. It's totally worth it. (As a side note, I can't get over
how much Anton Armstrong, the St. Olaf conductor, is getting to look like
James Earl Jones.....or a giant bullfrog!)