[Magdalen] Christmas Trees

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Dec 24 07:51:31 UTC 2016

In a message dated 12/23/2016 11:00:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

I have  lots of volunteer cedars on my property--they're generally
considered weeds  here--and they really make pretty Christmas trees, especially with
all white  lights.
The downside is that after they've dried out a bit, they tear your  hands
up.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And I think you are referring to the Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus
virginiana)
here.  It is a Juniper, and most known for the odiferous cedar
chests/closets,
and for their berries which are a source for gin.  The berries can  also be
used
in cooking.  Other than in a specific botanical type ("cedar glades")
these were
not known in the Upper Midwest until recent years when they have  extended
their range north and west via the highway right of ways.

Other "cedars" in the East include the Eastern White Cedar (Thuja
occidentalis)
Atlantic Cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides)) which are native, and the  true
(exotic) cedars (the Atlantic 'blue' Cedar - Cedrus atlantica glauca)  and
the Deodar Cedar (Cedrus deodar).  Various other exotic conifers are  called
"cedars" as well).

David Strang.