[Magdalen] Christmas Trees

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 23:10:48 UTC 2016

Reformation has an amazing tree that is covered in gold and white Chrismons
which were made by several women of the congregation. It also has about a
zillion white lights. It's probably 10 ft. tall and gets lit on the second
Sunday of Advent by one of the kiddies who gets to crawl around to the plug
and plug it in.

Last Sunday we had a near disaster with our Advent wreath as two of the
candles steadfastly refused to light during the little ceremony that goes
with it. The ceremony and singing went on without them, and two Altar Guild
ladies came up, took them "backstage", fixed them (I assume that involved
scraping them down somewhat and digging the wicks out from wax
accumulation) and replaced them. I should have been giggling along with the
family next to me, but instead I was near tears because I was reminded of
one of Adam's acolyte friends, also prematurely deceased, and the time he
was trying to light the window candles at All Saints' with a taper that
wouldn't stay lit. Benjy was an African-American kid who was possessed of
amazing dignity, and he continued around, "faking" lighting the candles,
while an usher followed in his wake, lighting them with a cigarette
lighter......and we in the choir tried like hell to keep from losing it
entirely.