[Magdalen] Homing Pigeons.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 21:17:59 UTC 2016

I experienced some of that during my year in Traverse City, in
northwestern Lower Michigan. There were lots of Finnish-Americans and
even some Finnish exchange students in my German classes. Maki was a
fairly common name, and also lots of Juntonens and maybe some
Ronkainens (Hi, Lynn!). Lots of -la names, too (Sikkila, Rutila). But
I'm sure I didn't hear the Upper Michigan dialects in all their
variety...a few hundred miles to go from TC to the UP.

The ELCA (but LCA at the time) Lutheran church I belonged to up there
seemed to have a lot of Swedish names among its members. I think it
started as a Swedish-speaking church of immigrants. Not sure whether
there was also a Finnish one or not.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA