[Magdalen] Homing Pigeons.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 09:15:46 UTC 2016

That pronunciation is actually correct.  Eye ZAY uh is wrong.  It's merely
due to our assuming the A has the long Ay sound, and it does not.  The
actual pronunciation would Eye ZAH (ee) uh, which of course everyone hears
as Eye ZIGH ah  The long I (eye) is actually two vowels sounded one after
the other, AH and a brief EE.

Everybody says eye ZAY uh, but that does not make it right. It's not.

On the other hand, there are handbooks of pronunciation of Biblical terms,
and I'm guessing some of them have the wrong solution for Isaiah.

What do we want from them?  First we take all the Hebrew names and
arbitrarily change them according to really f*-ed up ideas of language, and
now we know better, but we still insist on using the wrong terms, and now
we even say how a word is pronounced is due to how we'd pronounce English
words, which of course is irrelevant.

I say it's time to repent of our jingoism and return to the correct words.
And while we're at it, why not call the places what they are actually
called, e.g., Moskva, Rossiya, Yerushalayim, Yisrael (not, please note,
"yishrael". Tho yerushalayim and Yisrael appear to be spelled with the same
letter, in Yisrael, you'll find it has  a dot over the lefthand side,
meaning it takes an ESS sound. Were the dot over the righthand side, it
would take the SH sound.
I'm not making this up, you know!
It seems like a lot, but actually it's just a matter of getting accustomed
to it. It is not rocket science. It's just one of those things that shows
the effects of American privilege.

http://www.dictionary.co.il/israel_jerusalem.htm

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford