[Magdalen] Voter ID

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Wed Dec 28 19:33:29 UTC 2016

On 12/27/16 2:51 PM, Ann Markle wrote:
> And often to get ID (don't know about Kansas), it requires proof of
> birth/citizenship, which means the time and expense of procuring a
> certified copy of the birth certificate (which I now must do to get my
> passport, since I seem to have lost the certificate, and had the passport
> deactivated, when I thought it was stolen).  Sigh.  I don't mind the $10
> and mailing the form with copies of other ID, but it's more than some
> people can manage, I know.  I'm so sick of the Republican party line on
> "voter fraud" and disenfranchisement!

Kansas people who don't _have_ a copy of their birth certificate are
probably quite rare (unless they or their mother didn't put it away
carefully).  I had to have my daughter's birth certificate to get her
enrolled in Kindergarten, and probably several other times (I know I
needed to keep it on hand, and I believe that she has hers now.  I know
where mine is.  Don't specifically remember about needing it for
driver's license).  As for passports, you need to be a rich person who
travels abroad to ever bother getting one. I've been to Canada and
Mexico, but in those days (before 911) you didn't need a passport for a
quick trip into those countries.

My father, born at home in 1903, didn't have one, and he needed an
affidavit from an elderly neighbor who remembered his birth to inherit
from his mother.  That affidavit is still in the safe deposit box.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net