[Magdalen] Dog blessing query

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 19:29:42 UTC 2016

One thing that popped into my head is the fact that the dog is entirely
non-verbal. Reading prayers or scripture texts will not have any meaning.
However, the sound of the voice does.  Just the way we talk to our
companions makes a big, big difference in their lives.

So I would spend some time telling the companion what a good dog they are
and so forth. It might be that the owner's voice will give more support,
although if she is torn up emotionally, it may be hard for her to keep
talking good talk to the dog. I know about that.

I would pick readings that will speak to the owner. She may find solace in
"Rainbow Bridge" if she does not already know about it.

Dogs accomplish great feats of emotional connection, so the idea they are
just automatons is kind of discredited.

We are so fortunate, because we have hope that god is preparing for all of
us, including dogs and cats and gerbils, more wonderful things than we can
ever desire or pray for.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford