[Magdalen] Dog blessing query

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 19:35:08 UTC 2016

I was a hospital chaplain for a number of years, and I never refused a request to baptize a stillborn or other dead baby or toddler. I always figured this was really for the parents, that it did no harm, and that God could sort it out.
I once called a local Jesuit priest at the request of the family of a man in the ICU who was already comatose. They wanted "last rites." He asked me a couple of questions, then came in and spent time in with the family. I waited outside the room and then walked out of the unit with him. He turned to me and said, " I guess you know I really wasn't supposed to do that."  I said yes, I knew, but it was obviously the right pastoral decision for the family--the bedside is no place for a theological discussion/argument. We then talked a bit about baptizing dead babies. It was a very lovely conversation. I love Jesuits!