[Magdalen] One more liturgy post

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 31 21:08:05 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----

The Romans now use Solemnity of Mary Mother of God because January 1 was the original feast of Our Lady in the Western Church or at least Rome. IN the old days there used to be commemmorative collects for the Feastof the circumcision that used the collects of Mary. there used to be three Masses on January 1 as on Christmas to cover all the liturgical themes

Whatever feast you celebrate it is not hard to reference the other traditional themes,

In the Byzantine Rite tomorrow is both the Feast of the Circumcision and St Basil but also the Sunday before Theophany  all these readings are permitted if not prescribed. I would thing using the divine Liturgy of St Basil  on January 1 and explaining why it among the 10 days this anaphora is served is more pastorally effective than piling on three epistle and Gospels.
Joe