[Magdalen] Fwd: Re: St Paul's-on-the-Hill, St Paul, MN

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 03:08:53 UTC 2016

In a message dated 2/1/2016 9:48:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

Driving a long distance to go to church because of its "unique  liturgy"
indicates that the congregation is not interested in **being  church**I
think, but rather enjoying the music and the showmanship on  Sunday
mornings. I doubt that's a crowd interested in driving 3-4 times a  week
for meetings and mission-related and fellowship activities that make  a
church what it needs to be, let alone vestry and vestry committee
meetings.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

This actually sounds as though it could have been written by a  Presbyterian
complaining about Anglican ceremonial.

It's very dangerous territory when someone outside a parish  second-guesses
the faith and spirituality of parishioners.  I could write much the  same
generalizations about the Latin Rite Tridentines, but I studied that
congregation
for more than 15 years, and discovered that my cynicism was unfounded
and simply not true.  These folk have deep spirituality, and many of  them
spend several nights a week in outreach meetings and activities and  do
the 50 mile driving one way to boot.  In its hey-day, SPOTH was  an
equally active parish.

David Strang.

David Strang.