[Magdalen] Great American Railroad Journeys

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 4 23:27:50 UTC 2016

Not mine as I am now venturing places the tracks won't take me but the
title of a series on (UK) BBC TV.  Michael Portillo, a former
Conservative politician, has done a number of series of journeys around
Britain, and in more recent years some around Europe, using old
Bradshaw's Railway guides.  In them he looks at some of the things
Bradshaw commented on in various places and what it's like there there
now.  They are what I might call Information Lite as he goes to several
places in the course of each 30 minute programme.

Now he has ventured across the Atlantic and referring to Appleton's 1879
General Railway Guide. The first three programmes were in NYC,
travelling by subway, and some of the places he visited brought back
memories of my trip there in 2012, including Grand Central, Penn and the
High Line Linear Park.  This evening's episode saw him venturing out of
the city travelling up the Hudson River Line, a route I did see a
stretch of but have not travelled.  Tomorrow sees him travelling on up
to Albany.  Next week he will be on tracks I have been on, though
travelling in the opposite direction, to Rochester, Buffalo and Niagara
Falls.

Roger