[Magdalen] A great sadness

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 05:17:43 UTC 2016

It is something that happens to all of us.  This year I decided to drop out
of the excellent choir I have been in for many years. The time was right.
I was no longer absolutely confident of my nailing the music.

It was a good run, but I am not a s young as I used to be.  On one hand, it
is heartbreaking to leave this excellent group, but on the other hand, I'm
not doing any favors for music by staying on past quitting time.  I think I
always figured I could get in "one more season."  Well, that one more
season is now past, and it's time to let a younger guy hit the very low
notes...

The cold breath of death chills the back of my neck.  But since there's
nothing one can do about it, there's really no point in fretting.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford