[Magdalen] Another update

Eleanor Braun eleanor.braun at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:40:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen <
magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:

> The old surgical approach was through a very long incision in the
> abdominal area in order to have room to retract the liver.  If  anything
> would convince the average medical student not to include surgery as
> a specialty, it would be this cholecystectomy.    Medical  students
> rotating through surgery would have to stand for hours pulling on the
> retractors.  It was hard work and boring to boot.

That's the kind of gall bladder surgery I had in 1985.  Long in-hospital
recovery...5 or 6 days as I recall.  They kept waiting for me to pass gas.
I told them to just give me a plate of pinto beans.  Then a very long at
home recovery, as I discovered the hard way all the things you need your
abdominal muscles for.

Eleanor