[Magdalen] prayers please

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 02:59:29 UTC 2016

We had a professional staff committee which had representatives from every
discipline. I sat on it as the Rehabilitation rep. It was very interesting.
Of course the MDs and MSNs did most of the talking, but still it was an
opportunity to hear about stuff and to give feedback.

JCAHO came in and said, "You know, you do not have any requirement to have
those disciplines on this committee. You should get rid of them and just
have doctors."  And even though it was a step backward, and even though it
was not required, they did it, because you always do what the fools, er,
experts on JCAHO want whether you need to or not.

I saw very little benefit from JCAH or  JCAHO, although the terror of what
they might find undoubtedly motivated us to move swiftly to make
innovations so it would not be a deficiency.

Officially they could come at any time, but the honchos talked to each
other in all the other facilities around the state and country, and we kept
track of where they were day by day. If they were in a facility far away
from us, odds were they would not be here the next day, and that was the
way it worked. We always had a pretty good idea of when they were coming.
I think one of the facilities in NYC did in fact get blindsided, and they
had a disastrous review, and ended up being closed.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford