[Magdalen] Madeline Albright.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 9 00:46:44 UTC 2016

On 08/02/2016 14:55, ME Michaud wrote:
> I always remember that my wise and beloved Grammy cast her first vote at
> age forty-three.
>
> Every day people risk their lives (on land, on sea, and in the air) to get
> to the United States.
> People have suffered, been injured, died trying to earn the right to vote.
>
> I would never use my vote to make a snarky statement.
> I would never throw my vote away period.

Em,

I totally agree with you about the importance of voting and using our
electoral right responsibly.  Deciding how to use it effectively is not
always an easy question.  Although this side of the pond we do not have
the primary system you have in the USA I would respectfully suggest that
the electability of a candidate is a valid consideration.  I recall an
episode of "Yes, Prime Minister" in which Jim Hacker, the new Prime
Minister, was preparing for his first Prime Ministerial broadcast.  He
wanted to include a particular point that would appeal to the party
fauthful bit was advised that they would vote for him anyway and he
needed to appeal to the swing voters.

I readily acknowledge the point that has been made erarlier about
appealing to the core to secure support in a primary election/caucus
system but there is adanger in that, more your side of the pond than
this as we have tighter controls on party political broadcasts.  An
appeal to the core can readily become an oppositional ad from the other
side in the general election. The reality is that you have to win in the
general election to be able to put your policies into effect and
offering hostages to fortune at this stage may secure the nomination but
that in itself does not give the position of real power.

Roger