[Magdalen] St. Thomas Fifth Avenue Chooses.

NYS&WRR Coal Co nyswrrcoalco at pipeline.com
Mon Feb 8 01:45:00 UTC 2016

David wrote:

This follows the tragic and untimely death of previous O/C John Scott.
http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/music/dirmusapptd David Strang.
I don;t know if it was Scott's preference or the combination of Andrew
Mead and Scott, but I have to say I lost alot of interest in the St
Thomas music program under their approach.

I really got alot out of the approach under Gerre Hancock -- lots of
Victoriana. That may have also reflected Fr. John Andrew's preference;
Scott dived into some of the Renaissance composers like Vittoria et al.
I, for one, think that's a waste of talent for a good M&B choir. We
worshipped there often when Hancock was running things -- lots of
weekday Evensongs, and occasional Sunday mornings. The Scott era just
didn;t cut it for me.

Once things settle in -- we'll check things out there again.

Cheers,
Jim