[Magdalen] Fasting from FaceBook

fleenerj fleenerj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:53:48 UTC 2016

I am fasting from my computer on Fridays, except for tomorrow, because the newsletter I edit isn't finished and MUST BE IN THE MAIL TOMORROW. So much for planning ahead.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® E-------- Original message --------From: ME Michaud <michaudme at gmail.com> Date: 2/11/2016  8:37 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: magdalen at herberthouse.org Subject: Re: [Magdalen] Fasting from FaceBook
If it's too hard, remember Sundays!

At the women's retreat the other day we were given the rules of fasting for
this diocese (who knew they were so local?)
Everyone between 14 and 59 must fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.
Fasting is one full meal and two snacks.
No meat may be eaten (but broth made from meat is OK).

Even the unchurched gf-brought-up-Baptist said "That's not fasting!"

I was probably the youngest retreatant, or one of the youngest, and there
was much eyerolling and many predictable comments about The Old Days.

BTW this retreat was preceded by the daily 9:00 weekday mass. Because I was
once a sacristan, I learned to estimate a congregation by fifties (since a
pack of communion wafers contains fifty), and there were between 200 and
250 attendees at that mass. On Tuesday. Seventy or so at the retreat.
-M