[Magdalen] Fwd: Re: Election

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 11 15:42:20 UTC 2016

On 2/10/16 11:37 AM, Ann Markle wrote:

 >> This is not true. Hillary did get one less. And, as Eleanor pointed
 >> out,
 >> this is the way the political system works. The pundits, which I enjoy
 >> watching, have been saying for a long time that it's the delegates
that >> count, and that's what candidates need to pay attention to.
That's >> part of >> how Obama got it from Clinton in 2008. It pays to
fact-check your
 >> sources,

Keep in mind that Superdelegate came about in the 1980s in response to
both the Nixon landslide against McGovern and Carter's loss to Reagan.

It should be remembered that after the 1968 debacle in Chicago, McGovern
spearheaded a committee that rewrote the rules so as to have the
convention delegates all chosen by primaries, caucuses etc., rather than
dictated by party leaders (like Mayor Daley, Tammany Hall,
Segregationist holdouts in Mississippi and the like). But in an effort
to regain power for the "grown-ups" -- superdelegates were added --
pstate party leaders, members of congress and the like so that a
"runaway" like McGovern (or now Sanders) could not happen again.

If one wanted to reform the election system, New York and California and
Illinois would have February Primaries. But the fix is in -- the
conservative South gets to pick the candidates for President and the
legislators in those three states are perfectly happy to let that
happen. It's one reason there's no such thing as a moderate Republican
going to even try to run -- no Rockefellers or Scrantons allowed. And
for Democrats, no McGoverns, Wellstones or even a Sanders -- need apply
either.

The big blow-up is going to happen when a Presidential candidate wins
the popular vote by an overwhelming margin, but loses the Presidency
because of the Electoral College. I'm not making any predictions, but
one can easily see Trump or Cruz winning 55-60% of the popular vote
because of 70-80% margins in the South and the few other states where
fundamentalist Christians hold sway, but get trounced in the Electoral
College because  of Democrats eke out wins elsewhere.

You think things are divisive in America?  You ain't seen nuthin yet!

Cheers,
Jim