[Magdalen] Fwd: Re: Election

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 16:20:15 UTC 2016

I always knew who my parents favored, and why. When I was small, my mom
took me and my brothers with her when she went to vote. My dad usually
voted later, on his way home from classes or work. And later, my school was
a polling place, Back then, schools didn't close on election day; voting
was in the gym, so we just didn't have PE. The teachers usually made some
reference to what was going on, so we kids knew it was something of moment.
The first election I remember clearly was the presidential election of
1952. Campaign buttons were allowed in my school and they were traded just
like any commodity of childhood. I found a couple when we were cleaning out
my mom's house. I remember being sad when Stevenson lost. We'd had a mock
election at the school, and surprisingly, or maybe not so surprisingly,
he'd won that (it was a school largely populated by children of UW-Madison
faculty).

I followed my parents' example and took my kids with me when we went to
vote. Schools are closed now on election day, and they didn't have civics
classes, nor do their kids. However, my daughter, at least, has been very
good at educating her boys about the political process, and she takes them
with her to vote also.