[Magdalen] "TREATMENT!!!"

Arthur Laurent ALaurent at npr.org
Mon Feb 15 03:15:23 UTC 2016

I used to be needle phobic as well. I think it was because my pediatrician was so awful with a needle. (Of course, this was long enough ago that they re-used the glass syringes and sharpened the needles between every kid.) I got over my phobia by being stuck lots of times. That's how you learn to start IVs and give injections in paramedic school: you practice on each other.

I wouldn't say I LIKED being stuck, but I'm ok with it.

Ask around and find the name of a tech with a universal reputation for "one-stick success." Ask for him or her by name. Then tell whoever is starting your IV all about your fears. Phlebotomists are usually very sympathetic.

(BTW, I tell them they're allowed two sticks. If they can't find a good vein in two tries (they usually get it the first time), they're retired for the day. I'll start the IV or whatever myself. I've almost never needed more than one. (I'd say I "always" get it on the first stick, because I can't remember the last time I missed one. But I try not to temp the Gods of Pride.)

The "secret" to finding a good vein is to feel for one, not look for one. I learned that from my first preceptor. Once you've found a good one, start the IV quickly...no dawdling around.)

Good luck to you.

Arthur

(I almost got to start my IV the last time I was in the hospital, but I spotted a paramedic buddy who happened to be working in the hospital that day. I waved off Doofus the phlebotomist; Ellen got the vein, started the IV, and was on her way before you could say, "Co-pay, please.")