[Magdalen] Lottery tickets

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 00:11:07 UTC 2016

Your thoughtful post brought back some warm memories of the place where I
first had a job, in the eastern side of Dutchess County, in Harlem Valley
Psychiatric Center. "Eastern Dutchess" (ED) is the name for the region
among the haves of western Dutchess County.  The folks of ED come from a
long line of farmers, and they showed it.  They didn't usually have much in
the way of money, but it was really neat to see how they networked with
their neighbors, most of whom were also cousins, to get whatever they
needed. Some of them had boats, and the story was usually the same. They
bought cheap of broken down hulk, or just got it by agreeing to haul it
away, then, between them and their neighbors (cousins) they built a great
boat they could take the family out on.
People didn't go to a garage when the car broke down; they went to the
go-to car repair neighbor (cousin) and gradually found used parts for what
they needed, and then bartered to get the work done. The same went for
repairs around the house, such as a new furnace, a new roof, etc., etc. You
could generally find some neighbor (cousin) who could get the job done, and
the work was paid for via barter and stored up favors.
These were hard-working people, and truly good people.  It was a real
privilege and also a learning experience to be employed there.
The State had a facility for developmentally disabled people and a facility
for the mentally ill, and it provided employment that kept things running.
When the State decided to close harlem Valley Psychiatric Center, it
destroyed the economic support for the region.  folks who had been driving
fifteen minutes to work, and were near home, should their kids need
anything, suddenly had to drive an hour to get to where their jobs had
moved.  It took a few years for it all to collapse.
I'm sure there still are folks there, living pretty much the way they
always have, but with fewer others to draw on, fewer resources, but, hey,
life goes on...

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford