[Magdalen] Prayers ANSWERED: missing, beloved dog is found!

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Feb 19 06:42:55 UTC 2016

On 2/18/16 9:12 AM, Jim Guthrie wrote:
> Minful of:
>
> A bunch of the boys were whooping it up in the Malamute saloon;
> The kid that handles the music-box was hitting a jag-time tune;
> Back of the bar, in a solo game, sat Dangerous Dan McGrew,
> And watching his luck was his light-o'-love, the lady that's known as Lou.
>
> (I bet Sib can or at least could recite the whole thing, as i could once
> upon a time)

Sorry, never could, though I have read it, of course, and the others.  I
deliberately memorized a lot of sonnets, Elizabeth Barrett Browning and
Shakespeare, and could have recited them,  and folk songs to sing them,
but those long jingles never quite stuck in whole.  The sonnets are
mostly gone, except "How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways"-- I had
to run that over in my head to be certain I still have it, and the rest
are just first or last lines, if that.  I had a lot of psalms, too, but
the Episcopal Church messed me up some with those, with the Prayer Book
translations and every Sunday, and I'm not sure I can even do the 23rd
word perfect in either version, from having my rhythm messed up on so
many Sundays.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net