[Magdalen] Prayers ANSWERED: missing, beloved dog is found!

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Fri Feb 19 16:25:51 UTC 2016

On 2/19/2016 9:19 AM, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> Jim, was he the one who wrote the poem beginning "When I have slipped the surly bonds of earth..."?

Service was World War I; you're thinking of Magee -- killed in WWII.(at
age 23!).

Quite an accomplishment for a young man to be remembered, Grace.

Though he's known for McGee and McGrew and the often humorus Yukon poems
("Thank God the Whiskey's Saved!"), Service wrote many really dark poems
during and after World War I, often both direct and in metaphor for the
carnage. I wonder if Magee would have done sich dark stuff had he lived
to see the end of WWII?

I remember a poetry reading of a well-chosen Service collection as part
of an anti-war protest back in the 1960s -- starting with the happy
stuff and growing darker and darker as Cold War/Viet Nam metaphor.

Cheers,
Jim