[Magdalen] Finally! FFJ!!!

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 05:21:03 UTC 2016

The spouse of a good friend is a singer, and she scheduled a recital a few
years ago, and I of course arranged to attend.  From practically the first
note, it was obvious that she did not have full sensation of pitch. Her
intonation was off by a slight amount constantly.  Numerous people in the
audience either were unaware, or they gave a really superb performance
themselves.  It was especially sad because she has a fine voice, and her
interpretation of her material was excellent, aside from the pitch never
being quite right.

She is a genuinely fine lady who happens not to realize that she does not
hear pitch as well as she needs to in order to sing in public.  It is
extremely sad. I used to think F F J was just hilarious, but now, not so
much.

My hearing is failing, and I fear a loss of pitch sense. I can sympathize
with a person who thinks she can sound better than she does, and others
attend her concerts just to laugh at her behind her back.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford