[Magdalen] Was: Prayers ANSWERED: Now, Chant.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 21 15:27:33 UTC 2016

On 19/02/2016 21:04, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:

> In a message dated 2/19/2016 3:42:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:
>
> In  short, nearly all congregational singing we know is rooted no earlier
> than  the 19th Century adn attempts to recapture the pre-Reformation
> genre is  mere affectation.>>>>>>
>
> If you mean by this that congregations did not sing prior to the 19th
> century, you may be correct for the UK.

and there only in Anglicanism.  Charles Wesley certainly assumed members
of his new churches would sing when he wrote all those hymns for them.
What became the standard general-purpose hymnal for the C/E traces its
history to a conversation between two clergymen on a train in 1858.  The
first edition of "Hymns Ancient & Modern" appeared three years later.

Roger