[Magdalen] Was: Prayers ANSWERED: Now, Chant.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Feb 21 17:32:08 UTC 2016

On 2/21/16 9:27 AM, Roger Stokes wrote:
> and there only in Anglicanism.  Charles Wesley certainly assumed members
> of his new churches would sing when he wrote all those hymns for them.

The "Wesleyans" were not making "new churches", they were making
something like "Sunday Schools" or a "Pious Educational Foundation" to
educate the (adults as well as children) in Christianity.  Of course,
they included devotional practices, but the people were expected to get
their Eucharist and worship from C of E, which was doing little or
nothing to teach its parishioners theory (theology) and Church History,
and teaching them to _study_ the Bible.  Singing is a major way of
getting things grooved inside your head.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net