[Magdalen] Vintner Dies.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Feb 23 21:05:25 UTC 2016

In a message dated 2/23/2016 2:09:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

I  believe Mondavi was sold to Gallo a few years  back.>>>>>>

I don't find Mondavi listed with the many Gallo brands.  I  believe
the main activities of Gallo are in the Sonoma Valley, and not
the Napa.

Mondavi is quoted as having said he was interested in producing
quality wine and would leave the vin ordinaire to others (presumably
Gallo?).

Mondavi initiated many innovations in winemaking.  Perhaps the
most well known is his being the first to import French oak casks
in which to age his wine.  This has subsequently become  commonplace
in California.

I can recall touring the Napa Valley vineyards in the 1970's, and  there
was a reverential tone to the tour guide at the Mondavi location,  almost
as though we were visiting a religious pilgrimage site.  In any  case
Mondavi seemed even then to be highly regarded in the trade.

David Strang.

David Strang.