[Magdalen] Cossell Brick

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Jan 4 22:07:26 UTC 2016

Howard Cosell was an interesting guy -- a lawyer turned broadcaster.

I especially appreciated his "Speaking of Everything" on ABC radio -- weekly
interviews with authors of books he found interesting.

He recognized pro sports as being in the business of entertainment -- not as a
"sport" in the classic sense, which annoyed the heck out of foaming football
fans, especially. He annoyed more people by being respectful of Cassius Clay
when he found religion and became Muhammad Ali. People hated respect for a
person of color and especially one who adopted a name that signified "the
other."

Add to that  an overt cynicism about the business that was reflected in his
commentary, there were lots of people out there with "Cosell Bricks" <g>.

OTOH, he became persona non-grata at WSTC Stamford (where he originated is
morning sports show on radio) after he made an error on the network and being
angry with himself, threw a pair of headphones toward the window to the control
room with such force that he broke the window,

After that, ABC built him a studio in his home in North Salem, NY, to send his
8:25 AM ET sports show to the network; and due to union rules, sent a broadcast
engineer there every morning in a limo, that also fetched Cosell with the
engineer to the studios in NY. The limo earlier (around 4:30 AM) to Lou Boda's
townhouse on the upper east side for his show at 7:10 AM.

When ABC radio relocated t to the "Studebaker Garage" the newsroom was a large
open areas, and a dozen studios/control rooms in glass enclosures surrounding
the newsroom.

But at one end there were two rooms with closed (and usually locked doors. One
had a sign saying "Mr. Cosell" and the other said "Mr. Harvey -- representing
the two most popular personalities on the network.

(BTW, you might have noted the absence of the long-time ABC tagline, "More
people get their News from ABC than any other source." -- because they always
counted Paul Harvey to reach that lofty number, and when Harvey died, it was no
longer accurate.

Cheers,
Jim