[Magdalen] oldest restaurants in Chicago

Georgia DuBose gdubose at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 23:51:36 UTC 2016

My sister and I LOVED Henrici's. The food was good, but the best part for
an 8 year old and a 6 year old was the curved staircase to the downstairs
bathrooms,  with the brass rail standing in the center. We felt it was so
elegant, and we visited the ladies' room a lot for that reason.

My dad introduced me to oysters at the raw bar at the Palmer House, where
his father had first taken him in the 1920s. He loved the Berghoff, and
when both of us worked in the Loop in the 1970s,, we would meet there for
lunch. One of the waiters remembered my grandfather, so he had been working
there for many years, as had most of the waiters in their white shirts,
white aprons and black pants. (Joe, am I correct in recalling that only the
senior waiters got to wear a vest--or was that some other restaurant?) My
godmother took me to the Walnut Room for tea: I remember thinking it was a
really special event.

After I had my first child, I stayed home for 16 months, and my job at
Chicago Public Library had been filled, so I went to work as a library
technician at Illinois Masonic Medical Center, which had a really good
medical library. I ate at Ann Sather with some of my colleagues from time
to time. It was "American-adapted Swedish Food," but I really enjoyed it.
No lutefisk, however.

Eileen, I loved the Como Inn, too. Our favorite seafood place was in the
Drake Hotel. Was it the Cape Cod Room? I remember the name Well of the Sea,
but not the hotel, except something is rattling around in the back of my
brain about the Morrison Hotel?????

Georgia+