[Magdalen] oldest restaurants in Chicago

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 00:03:51 UTC 2016

We've got one of the few remaining Ann Sathers here in Edgewater. The
original in Andersonville is closed; there's a very busy one still on
Belmont Avenue in Lake View and possibly another near there, on
Broadway. The Edgewater one is jammed for weekend brunch. I've never
been in that one because it looks cramped...narrow hallways linking
rooms around a corner of Granville and Broadway. Popular for cinnamon
rolls, white sausage, meatballs, stroganoff, etc. I remember
frequenting the Belmont one (which was a block west of where it is
now) and it had at least two big rooms plus an upstairs banquet room
(home of the Gay Men's Naked Dinner once a month) and served Carlsberg
beer. They also served each person, automatically, an appetizer plate
consisting of a big cinnamon roll, a muffin, and a slice of cake. Glad
to say they don't do that anymore...was a bit ridiculous. No more
beer, either, because the owner is an alderman. No liquor licenses for
aldermen.

The Walnut Room is still there and I'm sure it was busy before
Christmas, but it usually has an atmosphere of sadness; maybe it's
just me. I could look at it as a quiet, reliable, spacious place to
have a decent meal. On the same floor is the Frango Cafe (sandwiches
and desserts) and Seven on State, a food court. Mostly I frequent
Marcburger on that floor. Very delicious burgers and herbed fries.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA