[Magdalen] oldest restaurants in Chicago

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 7 00:03:16 UTC 2016

My mother would have worn a  hat and gloves on certain occasions. I don't think going to the Walnut Room for High Tea at 4:45PM when we would meet my father was one of them. I think she would have thought it too much trouble. She was not a stay at home mom, but an elementary school teacher. However, those meals were probably in the mid 50's. I was in high school and college afterwards and we moved to the suburbs in 1962. My mother had lots of gloves which she must have used. We took the train down to LaSalle St Station and then walked to Fields; I don't even remember taking the bus. By the time I was in High School, if I didn't want to walk to the Station, I would take the IC and then the bus. It still kind of groused me having to pay both trainfare and busfare, but it wasn't that expensive. The CTA used to have half fare for students. I don't know whether it does now; there may be a discount on Breeze Cards' for students.

Joe