[Magdalen] Beautiful Epiphany chant

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 15:54:02 UTC 2016

I meant to post this yesterday. Cologne Cathedral has a shrine to the
Magi (and I think they may claim they have some relics?), and on many
Sundays and other occasions throughout the year, their opening
procession includes the chant "Tria sunt munera," "Three are the
gifts."

Here is the huge Maedchenchor (Girls' Choir) chanting Tria sunt munera
at the start of a Mass in the ordinary (green) season last year. I get
teary every time I hear this!

https://youtu.be/PQ3BhlBj09M

R. There are three precious gifts which the wise men offered unto the
Lord on this day, and they speak a mystery of the things of God,
* Gold, to show His kingly power; frankincense, for our Great High
Priest; and myrrh, against the Lord's burying.
V. The wise men worshipped the Captain of our Salvation, as He lay in
the manger, and when they had opened their treasures, they presented
unto Him mystic gifts.
R. Gold, to show His kingly power; frankincense, for our Great High
Priest; and myrrh, against the Lord's burying.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA