[Magdalen] Admission

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 05:52:06 UTC 2016

Lynn, this is amazing. How beautifully put - thank you for sharing.

The idea of "naming our struggles" seems so valuable and important to me.
If you're coming to the naming part with a background concept that swallow
up the entire person,  i.e. "I am" <whatever>, that makes you feel as
though everything about your life is somehow also about that struggle, then
resistance is inevitable and not necessarily a part of the addiction
picture either.

Society would seek to humiliate people on the basis of their life struggles
and it's easy to internalise this humiliation -  not only with
alcohol/substances but many other things too.

"Humbled" is something quite different and much less likely to evoke
painful defensiveness.

Sally D