[Magdalen] Admission

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 21:28:27 UTC 2016

questions about 12 step groups:

Hi I'm Lynn and my experience is that every group is different. Every group
(within 'the programs") does not work for everyone  who seeks healing and
community. Sometime one needs to find the group that works for them - in the
sense of support and being held accountable, when needed - not comfortable
as an old shoe where one can continue to come but not begin the hard work of
putting one's life back together again in a new way. Sobriety of body, mind,
spirit, emotions is hard work and it only works when someone really *wants*
it and *works it*.

In my group we do repeat 'I'm Lynn' each time we speak. I always assumed it
was because not everyone knows or remembers everyone's name as there are
often new people dropping in, so it is a reminder or a bit of an
introduction. In my group we do use an identifier - "Hi, I'm Lynn, ACA" for
me (at another time it was ...I'm Lynn, Alanon) I never really thought much
about it other than I am reaffirming that I'm naming my own struggle .

Saying my  name, even over and over, was far from my most uncomfortable and
yet eventually road-to-healing moments which remained unuttered for a long
time...  when one is "ready", desperate, touched by the holy, open to
something new/better, offered hope.... when one is humble/d (not humiliated)
by one's life circumstances, then this may not be so much of a concern. Some
people come into 'the rooms' of 12 step programs ready to do anything to
make their life whole again, and many do.  In retrospect a 12 step room can
be the very best place to be uncomfortable because many of the people there
actually do know how you feel and they've been there done that too.

(searched in vain to find a quote on humility that an AA friend said to
me...)

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck