[Magdalen] Prayers for our database migration Saturday

Susan Hagen susanvhagen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:14:12 UTC 2016

Dear listsibs,

Tomorrow (Saturday) my team at work will move all of our databases to
a new server.   We have been preparing for this for months and it’s
time to go live.  There is always more checking and testing you could
do but there’s also a time you just have to take the plunge and then
mop up any problems afterwards.  Monday we made the decision that we
were at that point.  Monday night the old server crashed and the tech
had problems getting it restarted.  He laid on hands and prayed hard
and it eventually started up.   It is about 15 years old and we’ve
been sweating about whether it would last long enough for us to get
the migration done.  The big deal is that it has meant upgrading
through several versions of operating system and SQL software, all
long outdated so it has required some re-programming and a lot of
testing.  The crash changed the risk/benefit calculation in favor of
moving as fast as possible.  Please say a prayer that this all works
and that we can get our users back in business as quickly as possible.
We are a psychiatric hospital so there is no good time for the systems
to be down.

 Thanks,
Susan

--
The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among
you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the