[Magdalen] Les Huguenots.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 8 19:59:00 UTC 2016

On 08/01/2016 19:15, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> My latest issue of the USA periodical, "Huguenot Heritage" arrived
> this week, and has some interesting material, including a book on the
> history of Huguenots in North America.
>
> There have been some16 or so generations since my paternal
> ancestors arrived at New Rochelle, NY in 1688, and there is now only
> <5% personal French DNA, but I'm still interested in the  Huguenots.
>
> In the book review:
>
> (1)  It was routine for Huguenot immigrants to North America to
> have a way station for a couple of years in Britain  (mine did).

The French Hospital in Rochester is where many of them stopped.
Rochester is between Dover (where many would have landed) and London.
The hospital is still there, and now open for visitors. It's perhaps 100
yards from the secondary (senior) school where I was, though the school
is no longer there. The only evidence consists of holes in the city wall
where corridors went through :-) You wouldn't be allowed to do that to a
14th century city wall now!

Canterbury Cathedral has a Huguenot Chapel (referred to by Archbishop
Justin in his televised New Year Message) which is normally kept
locked.  A small group of us were allowed to look at it since we know
the President of the Guguenot Society of Britain and Ireland.

Roger