[Magdalen] Admission

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 21:27:19 UTC 2016

MJL> During my brief stint with AA, I couldn't help but think that the
second "A" of AA meant absolutely nothing to the group I was with.

This is a sad thing to hear but only human.  Adhering to one of the '12
Traditions'  regarding anonymity is a powerful safety feature which is part
of the success of 12 step programs.... as I posted yesterday - not all
groups are 'the same', and in their differences some groups are
dysfunctional in possible multiplicity of ways. Most people, even in their
bad days can tell when a group is not for them.... I  remind myself, that
*a* group is not the whole program. I am sad when I  hear about groups that
are not healthy. I found myself in one that became that way about 9 years
ago - fortunately I had  been exposed to its health, so I discerned its
descent into something else. I am fortunate to live on the far edge of a
large city so there are many locations to check into.  Many people have a
'home location' even if they sometimes go elsewhere - some locations field
meetings at many hours of the day and evening - that is my experience here
especially with AA which probably sees more attendance than any of the
offshoot 12 step meetings/groups under their umbrella organization.

I have also observed the downside of attending too many different meetings
all over town where one possibly does not solidify a sense of
companionship/camaraderie but instead might slip into stagnant behavior
because 'nobody knows your name' (I say that to mean that when this happens
often the sense of connection among members is traded in for a more
self-oriented attendance mode, not engagement mode).

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr