[Magdalen] Brightest and Best - The Epiphany, January 6, 2016.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 19:22:41 UTC 2016

In a message dated 1/9/2016 1:07:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
houstonklr at gmail.com writes:

...well  depending on what part of the USA you were in say 20 years ago
chasubles were  a non-starter. Too "Roman". A lot has changed in/around our
denomination with  vestments since the 1990s>>>>>>>>

The changes started long before that.

There were whole dioceses that didn't own a chasuble anywhere.

I'm not sure the theology has changed in the past 50 or so years,
but Episcopal clergy now dress up a good deal more than they did
several decades ago.

In my home area of the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota, the almost
universal predominance of Choral Morning Prayer has been supplanted
by a similar overwhelming predominance of Choral Eucharist such that
I am not aware Choral Morning Prayer can be found anywhere in the
State/Diocese.

Along with the liturgical change has come the vestment change, and
I cannot think of a single parish in that Diocese that does not  wear/use
Eucharistic vestments.  MN bishops, infamous for wearing magpies
exclusively, now strut about in copes and mitres as though they were
participating in a royal coronation.

I'm sure it's been a bonanza for the vestment makers.

David Strang.