[Magdalen] Admission

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 00:18:14 UTC 2016

I've never thought of this before and have only attended (as visitor) one
AA meeting, and one Alanon. I can't remember how the speaking went.

But as we chew this over now it stands out for me how important it is for
these meetings not to be like other meetings and groups.  People can be
very expert at using group situations for a wide range of self-expressions
and self-presentation; many of which may be part of some pattern of denial
or inauthenticity. A using of the situation in some way...

So though I can imagine feeling very irritated at being made to use this
awkward preface to every contribution, if I were an AA member I think it
would do me no harm. It would make me think twice and thrice before jumping
in, which I'm far too good at in groups. It would curtail
argumentativeness, and any kind of grand-standing or commentary.

It might even allow periods of silence to develop which I (along with
others) would not feel it necessary to fill.

In which case, if I did take part in that way and introduce each
contribution with some similar phrase, I guess I would be speaking mainly
to myself, because I would be the one who most needs to meet myself and get
to know myself without the BS!!

I'm going to take this to heart, AA people...next team meeting we have at
work, I'm going to say something of the sort, silently to myself before
saying other stuff. Saying my name will ground me and remind that I'm
entitled to my own space and my own thoughts. Saying something like "I am a
part of this therapy team" will prompt me to be constructive and
respectful.

Some of the most valuable conversations we have here have been those
informed or enlightened by journeys of recovery and celebrations of
sobriety - so although I understand the idea of an "AA table" at the Pub I
hope not to miss out on this!

Jim H - every blessing on your journey in AA, may gentle hands support you
whenever you're losing your balance.

Sally D