[Magdalen] Les Huguenots.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 23:08:25 UTC 2016

There apparently a long line of priests among the Huguenots with the family
name Maturin. Some relocated to Ireland, and one, Gabriel Maturin, became a
dean of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin. He was on the staff under
Johnathan Swift, who had the effrontery not to die for a very long time, so
when Gabriel finally got to be dean, he only lasted a year.  However, he
has a nice place in history I would not have known about, had we not met
with some historians while we were in Dublin.
It seems that, as an assistant to Swift, Maturin was in charge of
children's affairs.  It seems that some promoters wanted to have the
premier of a new piece by a noted composer, and it was hoped that the
choirs of the two Church Of Ireland cathedrals could provide the vocal
forces for the event. However, Rev. Swift was dead set against this, for
reasons that were not made clear. However, it was at least due in part to
the intervention of my ancestor, that Swift relented, and the premiere of
handel's _Messiah_ took place in a hall within about a block of St.
Patrick's. It has long since been replaced by a hotel, the George Frederic
Handel Hotel. And the children's services of Dublin did benefit from this
wonderful event.  Promoters feared attendance would be very high, and
ladies were asked to please leave their skirt hoops at home.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford