[Magdalen] Mike & Everett face a demon.

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 01:52:25 UTC 2016

I knew nothing of housekeeping from my parents' house. "Your job is to
go to school and earn good grades," I was told. (Once, when very young,
I pulled that line on a dear neighbor when asked to help clean up after
playing with her daughter...she was good enough to sternly advise that
wouldn't fly in her house!)

I think my mother hoped that if I knew nothing about housekeeping, I'd
have to either have a profession capable of supporting a housekeeper, or
have a partner who could...Instead, I was a bride of three or four days
(married during college, over Xmas vacation) crying in the Safeway
because, in case you didn't notice it yourself, in 1981 there were NO
instructions on canned green beans.

We'd been married about five years when I had a broken leg, cast from
waist to toe, and hired a housekeeping team to catch up, as Rodger was
out of town, then, three weeks out of four. I had no clue one should
wash kitchen cabinet doors and front pieces. It was amazing what a
difference that made! Now, if I need a quick kitchen pick-me-up, I wash
down the fronts of the cabinets.

I can cook relatively well, with directions, but it is not intuitive to
me. I cannot tell you what's needed, what's missing, what would improve
it. Rodger is a much better cook than I, but doesn't follow directions
(almost as a philosophy) so rarely bakes.

Oddly, most of my first after-school jobs were food-related, and I
learned more about food, laundry, and cleaning, there. But, I learned to
balance a checkbook, handle a savings account, change a tire, engine
oil, and jump start a battery, at home.

Peace,
Jo