[Magdalen] Mike & Everett face a demon.

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Mon Jan 11 16:58:23 UTC 2016

When I was a kid, I was in 4-H and took home ec in Jr. High and High
school, so knew cooking basics (could boil water and eggs, etc.).  My
mother really tried to get me to cook and clean, but I staunchly resisted.
She was an older mom, and tired, and I wore her down and wore her out.
When I married at 16, we ate a lot of canned soups.  I didn't really learn
to cook well till after seminary, then discovered that I have a bit of a
knack for it.  Here with Cheryl I do all the cooking and food shopping (she
cleans up, mostly).  She's not a picky eater, appreciates everything I
cook, and pays for 1/3 of the food (we'll renegotiate that, now that she's
retired).  I really love to cook.  Summers, I grill a lot; winters, we eat
a lot of stewy-type, one-dish meals.  I especially like to cook beef short
ribs, boneless country-style pork rib meat, chicken, and duck.  With the
beef and pork, I cook the veggies right in the pan with the meat.

Laundry?  When I was young (up till after seminary, actually), we went to a
laundromat, so I always knew about laundry (I could even use a wringer
washer if I needed to, which I don't!).  I can iron, too, but I don't.  I
wear cotton clergy collars, but if you flatten them out after washing and
let them dry flat, they're perfect.  I can't do that
plastic-around-the-neck thing, and I think tab collars are tacky (sorry --
I know some here wear them).

I'm still not very good at cleaning -- can ignore an incredible amount of
dirt.  I prefer to pay someone else to do it.  Right now we've got someone
cheap, and my experience is that you get what you pay for in the cleaning
category.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY