[Magdalen] Epiphany

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 04:07:44 UTC 2016

What policy are you referring to, Mike?
I'm retired according to the Church Pension Fund, because I'm drawing my very small pension--started three years ago when I left the hospital--but I haven't said anything about it, and I'm not sure anyone in the diocese has even noticed. I'm listed as Priest Associate at our little church here, and I have a very full schedule of supply and even interim work, and I do a fair amount of spiritual direction, though that doesn't pay anything. I did ask the Bishop at Council last year if I could still serve on the Commission on Ministry, and he said yes and told me where to find the application form. I had noticed that other retired priests were serving on committees.
Those who do formally retire often have courtesy resolutions presented at Council, detailing and thanking them for their ministry, and a big deal is made of it, but I have chosen to stay under the radar.
If anyone asks, I say I'm semi-retired, because that's what it feels like...

On January 11, 2016, at 8:46 PM, "Mahoney, W. Michael" <wmmah at stoneledge.net> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike, your former rector and his wife turned up at the 8 o'clock service
> at St. Stephen's, Culpeper, where I was supplying last week. It was great
> fun to see them. He's taking retirement VERY seriously...
> It will be interesting to see if he can stay away from Annual
> Council/Convention this year!

Grace -

I assume he will be there.  What better occasion could there be for him to
catch up with old friends and gather in the gossip?  I am thinking of going
myself, though I am no longer a delegate.

Incidentally, I regard our diocesan policy regarding retired clergy to be
both cruel and dumb.

Mike M.