[Magdalen] unwanted 'download 'question

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 20:52:25 UTC 2016

I just finished uninstalling Skype for the third time (I accidentally let
my updater reinstall it).

It gives this window that looks very shaky, and asks if you permit a
program to make changes in your computer.

The reason for this, I think you will find, is that the program you are
uninstalling, in order for your PC to work right, needs to change stuff
around and delete stuff in various folders in order for the program to be
safely removed (and so that they can then [a] reinstall later easily if you
wish, and [b] have a tracer cookie that shows that yes you did in fact have
the program at one time)

I am of the opinion that you may safely click on this window the next time
you go to uninstall, and be prepared for it to take a few minutes.  But it
is probably okay.

If you are still unwilling to do that, I suspect that you can just stick
with the way things are and your PC will be fine.  You will merely have to
grit your teeth and click NO each time you boot up.

Doncha just love these modern conveniences that make life so much more
convenient???

I have now become a full true believer in the warranty that will have a
tech repair your PC at distance. I have these through Dell, and while it is
not cheap, it is worth it.  Get the longest warranty you can (assuming you
are keeping the PC) and the cost is not bad, and it is SOOO nice to call a
number, give my PC serial number, and the tech gets control of my PC over
the internet and fixes everything.  I can just get a good book and wait, or
I can watch the fun as he whizzes through all sorts of stuff to locate
things that are causes of problems.

I am sorry I have given you two contradictory ideas in my two posts, but I
hope you are able to take care of these things.  Also, as I learned the
hard way myself, one has to read very carefully before clicking on any
button. The guys out there are not always working in your best interests,
and remember that they couldn't care less what you or I say about them;
they just want to get someone to click on a product they are boosting,
whether or not it is ever downloaded.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford